I have used this pastry recipe a number of times to make a variety of different pies and tarts (both sweet and savory) and it has been very successful in my recipes!
Gluten-Free Pastry Recipe
1 cup sweet rice flour
3/4 cup tapioca starch/flour
1/4 cup potato starch
1/4 cup white rice flour
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp butter
1/2 cup Crisco
1 egg (cold)
1 tbsp white vinegar
1/4 cup water (cold)
Extra flour for rolling
- Mix flours together in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter/Crisco.
- Beat egg and add the vinegar and water together in a small bowl.
- Mix all ingredients together in the large bowl, kneading with hands.
- Refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour.
- Sprinkle lots of flour on a large surface area before rolling out dough.
Butter Tart Filling
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup soft butter
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 pinch salt
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Soften the raisins by placing them in a small bowl covered in hot water to soak for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together butter, brown sugar, salt and corn syrup.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix well.
- Drain the raisins and add to mixture.
Use a round cookie cutter to cut rolled out pastry to fit mini muffin pan.
Spoon butter tart filling mixture into the pastry shells. Only fill about 3/4 of the way because they will bubble up in the oven and you don't want them to burn.
Bake at 400*F for 15-20 minutes.
And there you have it... buttery, flaky goodness!