|Gluten-Free Vegan Apple Crisp|
Yeah, that's right. It can be done Gluten-free AND vegan apple crisp. It may not be "pretty" but I don't think apple crisp is ever too visually appealing.
This means no dairy or eggs. But not lacking any flavour. Perfect for those occasions where lots of people gather (say, Thanksgiving?) and inevitably, there are many allergies floating around and you wonder, "What on Earth could possibly be safe for everyone?"
Look no further.
[Unless of course, there's an apple allergy... I hear peaches work well, too. Haven't tried that yet.]
I won't ramble... except to say that this recipe is great. And the quinoa flakes give it a nice crunch and added protein.
So here it is, a foolproof recipe. This recipe can easily be doubled if you have a lot of mouths to feed and use a large rectangle pan.
Vegan Gluten-Free Apple Crisp
1 hour / 15 minutes prep time
6 MacIntosh apples (or other), pared and sliced/chunked (better make it 7 apples if you're a snacker, like me) - you can leave the skin on if you like
1/4 cup white sugar (you can use less if desired)
2 tbsp Earth Balance (vegan "butter")
1/2 to 1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup Earth balance, softened
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup quinoa flakes (if you don't have quinoa flakes, sub with more rice flour)
1. Preheat oven to 325*F.
2. Grease a 9" pie plate with Earth Balance.
3. Pile sliced apples in pie plate and sprinkle with the white sugar and cinnamon and toss. Then add 2 tbsp Earth Balance.
4. Mix 1/4 cup Earth Balance and brown sugar together, chopping with a knife.
5. Then add flour and quinoa flakes and mix together until combined.
6. Press this crumbled mixture firmly over apples.
7. Put pie plate on cookie sheet (to catch any spillage).
8. Bake 35-45 minutes or until apples are tender.
And that's it. Enjoy! You can serve warm or cold.
Serve with vegan whipped cream (like MimicCreme) or vegan ice cream, if desired.
Of course, if there are no vegans or people allergic to dairy you can use regular butter. I just wanted to make sure the recipe worked with vegan Earth Balance.